Monday, March 30, 2020



Aviation Accidents And İncidents in 2019

2019 Colombia DC-3 Crash
2019 English Channel Piper PA-46 Crash
Angara Airlines Flight 200
Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 60
Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 147
2019 Busy Bee Congo Crash
2019 Chilean Air Force C-130 Crash
2019 Indian Air Force An-32 Crash
2019 Ménaka Helicopter Crash
2019 Pakistan Army Military Plane Crash
PenAir Flight 3296
2019 Saha Airlines Boeing 707 Crash
2019 São Paulo Bell 206B Accident
Skydive Umeå Gippsland GA8 Airvan Crash
2019 Taplejung Helicopter Crash
Ukraine Air Alliance Flight 4050

- Aeroflot Flight 1492 - 

Aeroflot Flight 1492 was a scheduled passenger flight from Moscow–Sheremetyevo to Murmansk, Russia. On 5 May 2019, the Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft operating the flight was climbing out when it was struck by lightning. The aircraft suffered an electrical failure and returned to Sheremetyevo for an emergency landing. It bounced on landing and touched down hard, causing the landing gear to collapse, fuel to spill out of the wings and a fire to erupt. The fire engulfed the rear of the aircraft, and 41 of the 78 occupants were unable to evacuate and lost their lives.
The aircraft was a Russian-built Sukhoi Superjet 100, MSN (manufacturer's serial number) 95135, and was registered as RA-89098.It was delivered new to Aeroflot on 27 September 2017 and had accumulated 2,710 flight hours and 1,658 cycles (a flight cycle consists of a take-off and a landing) before the accident.Aeroflot Superjets are configured with 87 passenger seats, 12 in business and 75 in economy.


Flight 1492 took off from runway 24C at Sheremetyevo International Airport, bound for Murmansk Airport, on 5 May 2019 at 18:03 local time (15:03 UTC). Towering cumulonimbus (thunderstorm) clouds were observed in the vicinity of the airport with a base of 6,000 ft (1,800 m) and peaking at about 29,000 feet (8,800 m). The clouds were moving in a north-easterly direction at a speed of 40–45 kilometres per hour (22–24 kn). When the plane was approaching the thunderstorm zone, a 327-degree heading was selected manually at 18:07 local time (15:07 UTC), initiating a right turn earlier than it is prescribed by the КN 24Е standard instrument departure, but the crew did not request active thunderstorm area avoidance clearance. At 15:08 UTC, the aircraft was climbing through flight level 89 when it was struck by lightning. The primary radio and autopilot became inoperative and the flight control mode changed to DIRECT – a degraded, more challenging mode of operation.The captain assumed manual control of the aircraft. The transponder code was changed to 7600 (to indicate radio failure) at 15:09 UTC and subsequently to 7700 (emergency) at 15:26 UTC while on final approach. The secondary radio (VHF2) remained operative and the crew were able to restore communication with air traffic control (ATC) and made a pan-pan call on the emergency frequency.

The aircraft stopped its climb at flight level 106 and was guided towards Sheremetyevo by ATC. It performed a right orbit before lining up for approach to runway 24L; the crew tuned into the instrument landing system and the captain flew the approach manually. Upon capturing the glideslope, the aircraft's weight was 43.5 tonnes (96,000 lb), 1.6 tonnes (3,500 lb) over the maximum landing weight. At 15:18:53 UTC, the captain attempted to contact the controller to request a holding area, but his message was not recorded by the controller's recorder. The flaps were lowered to 25 degrees, which is the recommended setting for an overweight landing in DIRECT mode. The wind was blowing from 190 degrees at 30 knots (15 m/s) – a 50-degree crosswind – and the speed stabilised at 155 knots (287 km/h). Between 1,100 feet (340 m) and 900 feet (270 m) AGL, the predictive windshear warning sounded repeatedly: "GO-AROUND, WINDSHEAR AHEAD". The crew did not acknowledge this warning on tape. Descending through 260 feet (79 m), the aircraft began to deviate below the glideslope and the "GLIDESLOPE" aural alert sounded. The captain called "advisory" and increased engine thrust, and the speed rose through 164 knots (304 km/h) at 40 feet (12 m) to 170 knots (310 km/h) at 16 feet (4.9 m) AGL – 15 knots (28 km/h) above the required approach speed, although the airline's own Flight Operations Manual provides pilots with a margin of −5 to +20 kt as a criterion for stabilised approach. As he reduced the thrust to idle for the flare, the captain made several large, alternating sidestick inputs, causing the pitch to vary between +6 and −2 degrees.

The aircraft made simultaneous ground contact with all three landing gear legs 900 metres (3,000 ft) beyond the runway threshold at a speed of 158 knots (293 km/h), resulting in a vertical acceleration of 2.55 g. Concurrently with the touchdown, in the span of 0.4 seconds, the sidestick was pulled from full aft to full forward. Though the spoilers were armed, automatic spoiler deployment is inhibited in DIRECT mode and they were not extended manually. The aircraft bounced to a height of 6 feet (1.8 m). The captain attempted to apply maximum reverse thrust while he continued to hold the sidestick in the fully forward position. Reverse thrust and reverser door deployment is inhibited in the absence of weight on the aircraft's wheels (i.e. in flight) and the reverser doors only began to open upon the second touchdown. The aircraft lifted off the ground before the reverse door cycle was completed and reverse thrust did not activate. The second touchdown occurred two seconds after the first, nose-first, at a speed of 155 knots (287 km/h) and with a vertical load of 5.85 g. The main landing gear weak links sheared – the weak links are designed to shear under heavy load to minimise damage to the wing – allowing the gear legs to "move up and backwards" and the wing remained intact. The aircraft bounced to a height of 15–18 feet (4.6–5.5 m). The thrust levers were advanced to take-off power – the reverser doors began to close – and the sidestick was pulled full aft in a possible attempt to go around. Thrust was not allowed to increase until the reverser doors were closed and a third impact was recorded at a speed of 140 knots (260 km/h) and with a vertical load in excess of 5 g. The landing gear collapsed, penetrating the wing, and fuel spilled out of the wing tanks. A fire erupted, engulfing the wings, rear fuselage and empennage. Fire alarms sounded in the cockpit for the aft cargo hold and the auxiliary power unit. The aircraft slid down the runway, veered to the left and came to a standstill on the grass between two runway-adjoining taxiways with the nose facing upwind at 15:30 UTC. Power to the engines was cut at 15:31 UTC. Flight recorder data suggest that control over the engines had been lost after the final impact.

An evacuation was carried out from the front passenger doors and their slides were deployed. The first officer used the escape rope to climb out of a cockpit window. Aeroflot claimed the evacuation took 55 seconds, though video evidence shows the slides still in use 70 seconds after their deployment. Passengers were seen carrying hand luggage out of the aircraft.The rear half of the aircraft was destroyed by the fire, which was extinguished about 45 minutes after landing.

Passengers And Crew

Five crew and 73 passengers were onboard on the aircraft. The crew consisted of the captain, a first officer and three cabin crew members. The captain, aged 42, held an Airline Transport Pilot Licence and had 6,844 flying hours, including 1,570 on the Superjet. He had previously operated the Ilyushin Il-76 and a number of smaller aircraft for the FSB (2,320 flying hours) and the Boeing 737 for Transaero (2,022 flying hours). He was employed by Aeroflot and transitioned onto the SSJ-100 in 2016. The 36-year-old first officer joined Aeroflot in 2017, held a Commercial Pilot Licence and had 773 hours of flying experience, including 623 on the Superjet.

Forty passengers and the flight attendant seated in the rear of the aircraft were killed. Forty of the victims were Russian and one a US citizen, and 26 resided in Murmansk Oblast, including a 12-year-old girl.One crew member and two passengers sustained serious injuries, and three crew members and four passengers minor injuries. The remaining 27 passengers were unharmed.


The Interstate Aviation Committee (IAC) opened an investigation into the accident. The French BEA is participating as representative of the state of design of the aircraft engine and EASA will offer technical advice to BEA.On 6 May 2019, the IAC said in a press release that both flight recorders had been recovered. The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) was found in satisfactory condition, but the flight data recorder (FDR) casing was damaged by exposure to extremely high temperatures and IAC specialists were working to extract the data.

On 17 May, the IAC announced that data from the flight recorders had been read out and their analysis was in progress. The IAC sent a follow-up accident report to Rosaviatsiya, the Russian civil aviation authority.Rosaviatsiya issued a safety information bulletin containing a summary of the accident and a number of recommendations.

On 30 May, TASS reported IAC expert Vladimir Kofman was attending the Transport Security Forum where he said that "the disaster occurred because of [the] hard touchdowns". His comment evoked a sharp response from Aeroflot and the IAC issued a six-point press release distancing itself from Kofman. The IAC said they would be conducting an internal investigation and that Kofman was not part of the Flight 1492 investigation. The IAC asked news media to provide video or audio evidence of "published statements made by Kofman". The IAC said they continued to analyse data from the accident and that they were preparing for the 5 June release of the preliminary report, concluding, "in this regard, neither IAC nor other persons currently can not have [sic] reliable information about the establishment by the Investigation team of the causes of the fatal accident".

Interim Report

On 14 June, the IAC published their interim report,presenting a detailed reconstruction of the accident, but they did not draw any conclusions. The pilots did not request active storm avoidance from air traffic control. However, they entered the second segment of the departure, initiating a right turn away from the storm earlier than prescribed. The pilot flying had difficulty maintaining altitude in manual flight during an orbiting manoeuvre in a 40-degree bank and deviated by more than 200 feet (61 m) from his assigned altitude, triggering multiple aural alerts. The crew omitted to perform the approach briefing and the approach checklist, and did not set the go-around altitude.The pilot deviated below the glideslope descending through 270 feet (82 m) AGL and increased engine thrust; the aircraft accelerated to 15 knots (28 km/h) above its required approach speed. During landing, sidestick inputs were "of an abrupt and intermittent character", including wide-amplitude, sweeping pitch movements not observed during approaches in normal flight law, but similar to other Aeroflot pilots' direct flight law approaches. The report also noted that the pilots ignored a windshear warning that would have required a go-around unless it was spurious.Investigators found traces of lightning impact on antennae, various sensors, exit lights and the cockpit windows. Investigators re-examined the design of the landing gear and found that it met certification requirements. The report cited a material provided by Sukhoi claiming that contemporary certification requirements did not consider the effect of "secondary impacts of the airframe on the ground after the destruction of the landing gear". The interim report did not look into the survival factors of the accident.

- Bek Air Flight 2100 - 

Bek Air Flight 2100 was a domestic passenger flight from Almaty to Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, operated by a Fokker 100 that crashed on 27 December 2019 while taking off from Almaty International Airport. There were 98 people on board – 93 passengers and 5 crew.Thirteen people died in the crash, and 66 were injured.The local government started investigations the same day.

Aircraft And Crew

The aircraft involved was a Fokker 100 built in 1996 which previously flew with Formosa Airlines, Mandarin Airlines, Contact Air, and OLT Express Germany, before joining the Bek Air fleet in 2013 as UP-F1007. The aircraft was leased to Kam Air in September 2016, then returned. The aircraft was also leased to Safi Airways in February 2017, returned to Bek Air, and finally leased to Air Djibouti in December 2018, before being returned again. The aircraft remained in service with Bek Air until the day of the accident, which destroyed it. The airworthiness certificate of the aircraft had been renewed on 22 May 2019.

The captain was 58-year-old Marat Ganievich Muratbaev and the first officer was 54-year-old Mirzhan Gaynulovich Muldakulov.


The aircraft crashed into a building just after takeoff from Almaty International Airport in Kazakhstan. The plane took off from runway 05R and lost altitude shortly afterwards; during take-off its tail was reported to have hit the runway twice.It reportedly turned to the right and hit a concrete perimeter fence, before impacting a two-storey building in a residential area, close to the perimeter track, at approximately 7:22 a.m. local time.The front of the aircraft broke away from the main fuselage, sustaining significant damage, and the tail broke off at the rear.

One of the survivors, businessman Aslan Nazarliev, stated he had seen ice on the wings. In a telephone conversation, he said, "The left-wing jolted really hard, I noticed that then jolted the right. And the plane began swinging as a boat."Nazarliev continued, "When we took off, the plane began to shake very hard and I knew it was going to fall ... All the people who stepped on the wing fell, because there was ice. I cannot say that [before taking off] the wings were not sprayed with antifreeze, but the fact is that there was ice."The temperature at the time was −12 °C (10 °F) and visibility was 1,000 metres (3,300 ft), with thick fog close to the scene.

- Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 - 

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 was a scheduled international passenger flight from Addis Ababa Bole International Airport in Ethiopia to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, Kenya. On 10 March 2019, the Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft which operated the flight crashed near the town of Bishoftu six minutes after takeoff, killing all 157 people aboard. The cause of the accident is under investigation.

Flight 302 is the deadliest accident involving an Ethiopian Airlines aircraft to date, surpassing the fatal hijacking of Flight 961 resulting in a crash near the Comoros in 1996.It is also the deadliest aircraft accident to occur in Ethiopia, surpassing the crash of an Ethiopian Air Force Antonov An-26 in 1982, which killed 73.

The Boeing 737 MAX 8 model first flew on 29 January 2016 and entered service in 2017, making it one of the newest aircraft in Boeing's commercial airliner offerings, and the newest generation of Boeing 737.As of February 2019, 376 aircraft of this model have been produced and one other had crashed, Lion Air Flight 610 in Indonesia in October 2018.Following the accident, the 737 MAX series of aircraft was grounded worldwide by various airlines and government regulators around the world.


Flight 302 was a scheduled international passenger flight from Addis Ababa to Nairobi. The aircraft took off from Addis Ababa at 08:38 local time (05:38 UTC) with 149 passengers and 8 crew on board.One minute into the flight, the first officer, acting on the instructions of the captain, reported a "flight control" problem to the control tower. Two minutes into the flight, the plane's MCAS system activated, pitching the plane into a dive toward the ground. The pilots struggled to control it and managed to prevent the nose from diving further, but the plane continued to lose altitude. The MCAS then activated again, dropping the nose even further down. The pilots then flipped a pair of switches to disable the electrical trim tab system, which also disabled the MCAS software. However, in shutting off the electrical trim system, they also shut off their ability to trim the stabilizer into a neutral position with the electrical switch located on their yokes. The only other possible way to move the stabilizer would be by cranking the wheel by hand, but because the stabilizer was located opposite to the elevator, strong aerodynamic forces were pushing on it. As the pilots had inadvertently left the engines on full takeoff power, which caused the plane to accelerate at high speed, there was further pressure on the stabilizer. The pilots' attempts to manually crank the stabilizer back into position failed. Three minutes into the flight, with the aircraft continuing to lose altitude and accelerating beyond its safety limits, the captain instructed the first officer to request permission from air traffic control to return to the airport. Permission was granted, and the air traffic controllers diverted other approaching flights. Following instructions from air traffic control, they turned the aircraft to the east, and it rolled to the right. The right wing came to point down as the turn steepened. At 8:43, having struggled to keep the plane's nose from diving further by manually pulling the yoke, the captain asked the first officer to help him, and turned the electrical trim tab system back on in the hope that it would allow him to put the stabilizer back into neutral trim. However, in turning the trim system back on, he also reactivated the MCAS system, which pushed the nose further down. The captain and first officer attempted to raise the nose by manually pulling their yokes, but the aircraft continued to plunge toward the ground.

The aircraft disappeared from radar screens and crashed at almost 08:44, six minutes after takeoff.Flight tracking data showed that the aircraft's altitude and rate of climb and descent were fluctuating. Several witnesses stated the plane trailed "white smoke" and made strange noises before crashing.The aircraft impacted the ground at nearly 700 mph.There were no survivors.

It crashed in the woreda (district) of Gimbichu, Oromia Region,in a farm field near the town of Bishoftu, 62 kilometres (39 mi) southeast of Bole International Airport.The impact created a crater about 90 feet (27 m) wide,120 feet (37 m) long, and wreckage was driven up to 30 feet (9.1 m) deep into the soil. Wreckage was strewn around the field along with personal effects and body parts.

The aircraft was a Boeing 737 MAX 8, registered ET-AVJ (construction number 62450, manufacturer's serial number 7243), powered by two CFM International LEAP engines.The aircraft was manufactured in October 2018 and delivered on 15 November 2018, making it around four months old at the time of the accident.

Passengers And Crew

The airline stated that the flight's 149 passengers had 35 different nationalities.Crash victim positive identification was announced on September 13, 2019. Nearly a hundred disaster victim identification (DVI) experts from 14 countries supported the Interpol Incident Response Team (IRT) mission.

All passengers and crew on board, 157 in total, were killed in the accident.Many of the passengers were travelling to Nairobi to attend the fourth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly.A total of 22 people affiliated with the United Nations (UN) were killed, including seven World Food Programme staff, along with staff of the United Nations office in Nairobi, the International Telecommunications Union, and the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.The Deputy Director of Communications for UNESCO, a retired Nigerian diplomat and senior UN official who was working on behalf of UNITAR, and a staff member of the Sudan office of the International Organization for Migration were also among the dead.The airline stated that one passenger had a United Nations laissez-passer.Both Addis Ababa and Nairobi have offices of UN agencies, and Addis Ababa has the head office of the African Union. The Addis Ababa-Nairobi route is also popular with tourists and business people. An employee of the Norwegian Red Cross, a British intern with the Norwegian Refugee Council, an environmental agent for the Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators, four Catholic Relief Services staff, and a senior Ugandan police official on assignment with the African Union peacekeeping force in Somalia were also killed.

Notable victims on-board included the Italian archaeologist and Councillor for Cultural Heritage of Sicily, Sebastiano Tusa, and Nigerian-Canadian academic Pius Adesanmi.Slovak politician Anton Hrnko lost his wife and two children in the crash.Other notable victims included Christine Alalo, a Ugandan police commissioner and peacekeeper serving with the African Union Mission in Somalia.

The captain of the plane was Yared Getachew, 29, who had been flying with the airline for almost nine years and had logged a total of 8,122 flight hours, including 1,417 hours on the Boeing 737.He had been a Boeing 737-800 captain since November 2017, and Boeing 737 MAX since July 2018.At the time of the accident, he was the youngest captain at the airline.The first officer, Ahmed Nur Mohammod Nur, 25, was a recent graduate from the airline's academy with 361 flight hours logged, including 207 hours on the Boeing 737.

- Ural Airlines Flight 178 - 

Ural Airlines Flight 178 was an Ural Airlines scheduled passenger flight from Moscow–Zhukovsky to Simferopol, Crimea. On 15 August 2019, the Airbus A321 operating the flight carried 226 passengers and seven crew. The flight suffered a bird strike after taking off from Zhukovsky and crash landed in a cornfield, 5 kilometres (3.1 mi; 2.7 nmi) past the airport. All on board survived; 74 people sustained injuries, but none were severe.


The aircraft suffered a bird strike shortly after takeoff from Zhukovsky International Airport, Moscow, Russia, bound for Simferopol International Airport, Simferopol, Crimea.A passenger recorded the plane's descent into a cornfield after a flock of gulls struck both CFM56-5 engines.The first bird strike caused a complete loss of power in the left engine. A second bird strike caused the right engine to produce insufficient thrust to maintain flight.

The pilots opted to make an emergency landing in a cornfield beyond the end of the airport runway and decided to turn off both engines just before touchdown. The aircraft made a hard landing in the cornfield 2.8 nautical miles (5.2 km) from Zhukovsky International Airport.The pilot chose not to lower the landing gear in order to skid more effectively over the corn.

Everyone on board the flight survived.There have been differing reports on the number of injuries sustained as the criteria for counting a person as "injured" are not overly strict. According to some reports, 55 people received medical attention at the scene. 29 people were taken to hospital, of whom 23 were injured. Six people were admitted as in-patients.The number of injuries was finally fixed at 74, none of whom was severely injured.All passengers were offered ₽100,000 (US$1,714) as accident compensation.


The aircraft was an Airbus A321-211, registered in Bermuda as VQ-BOZ, msn 2117. It was built in 2003 for MyTravel Airways (as G-OMYA), who decided not to accept it; it was then transferred to Cyprus Turkish Airlines as TC-KTD. It then operated for AtlasGlobal as TC-ETR in 2010, and Solaris Airlines in 2011 as EI-ERU, before being delivered to Ural Airlines in 2011 as VQ-BOZ.

The aircraft was damaged beyond repair in the accident and the airline announced that it would be cut up in situ to be scrapped, in an operation that was scheduled to commence on 23 August 2019.The accident represents the sixth hull loss of an Airbus A321.


The pilot in command was 41-year-old Damir Yusupov who graduated from the Buguruslan Flight School of Civil Aviation , in Buguruslan, Russia, in 2013. He has also received a degree in Air Navigation from the Ulyanovsk Institute of Civil Aviation, in Ulyanovsk, Russia. At the time of the accident, he had over 3,000 hours of flight time.

The co-pilot was 23-year-old Georgy Murzin [ru; pl] who also graduated from the Buguruslan Flight School of Civil Aviation, in 2017.At the time of the accident, he had over 600 hours of flight time.

There were five flight attendants on board.

Aviation Accidents And İncidents in 2020

2020 United States Air Force E-11A Crash

2020 ROCAF UH-60M Crash

- Pakistan International Airlines Flight 8303 - 

Pakistan International Airlines Flight 8303 was a scheduled domestic flight from Allama Iqbal International Airport in Lahore to Jinnah International Airport in Karachi, Pakistan. On 22 May 2020, the Airbus A320 crashed in Model Colony, a densely populated residential area of Karachi, while on final approach to Jinnah International Airport, a few kilometers away from the runway.There were 99 passengers and eight crew members on board the aircraft.97 people were killed in the crash;two onboard survivors were rescued.


The aircraft was an Airbus A320-214,which was built in 2004 and operated by China Eastern Airlines as B-6017 between 2004 and 2014. Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) then leased the aircraft from GE Capital Aviation Services on 31 October 2014, with registration AP-BLD.It was powered by CFM56-5B4/P engines.The PIA's engineering department reported that the last thorough maintenance check on the plane was conducted on 21 March, during which no defects were found in its engines, landing gear or avionics. The Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority had declared the aircraft fit for flight until 5 November 2020. The plane had operated a flight from Muscat to Lahore on the day prior to the accident.According to Airbus, the aircraft had logged close to 47,100 flight hours.


The pilot had made an aborted landing attempt before he encountered a technical issue.He radioed air traffic control (ATC) to report the technical problems—an engine failure or landing gear problems.Shortly before contact was lost, ATC told the pilot that he was cleared to use either of the airport's two runways, requesting "Confirm your attempt on.According to PIA's CEO, Arshad Malik, the technical fault prompted the pilot to make a go-around rather than land, even though both runways were available to him.The pilot told the controller, "we are returning back, sir, we have lost engines". Twelve seconds later, he issued a mayday alert,which was the final communication between the control room and the aircraft.

The narrow streets and alleys comprising the area inhibited the rescue services.ISPR, the Pakistani military's media wing, reported that special forces of the Pakistan Army and Pakistan Rangers had set up a .Video footage of the crash scene from GEO TV showed emergency teams trying to reach the scene amid rubble, clouds of black smoke and flames in the background.

Residents stated that it is not uncommon for aircraft on final approach to pass so close to building rooftops that they "feel we can touch it", given the proximity of the runways.Edhi Welfare Trust's Faisal Edhi stated that at least 25 houses suffered damages due to the crash.PIA's spokesman Abdullah Hafiz Khan has said that 18 houses were destroyed or badly damaged.


Airbus announced they are providing assistance to the investigation.

Following the crash, both the flight data recorder (FDR) and the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) were found and handed over to the inquiry board.

- Caspian Airlines Flight 6936 - 

On 27 January 2020, Caspian Airlines Flight 6936 overran the runway on landing at Mahshahr Airport, Iran on a domestic flight from Tehran. All 144 people on board survived, with two injured.


Flight 6936 departed from Tehran at 06:35 local time (02:05 UTC) and landed at Mahshahr Airport at 07:50.The aircraft overran the runway on landing, ending up on the Mahshahr-Sarbandar Expressway 170 metres (560 ft) past the end of the runway. All 144 people on board, including 135 passengers, survived. The aircraft's undercarriage collapsed during the overrun.Two people were injured. A witness said that the aircraft's undercarriage did not appear to be fully down as it came in to land.The head of Khuzestan Province's aviation authority stated that the aircraft landed long on the runway, causing the overrun.


EP-CPZ, the aircraft involved in the accident, seen here in June 2017.
The accident aircraft was a McDonnell Douglas MD-83,registration EP-CPZ, msn 53464.It first flew in 1994, then served with several different airlines before being transferred to Caspian in 2012.

- Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 - 

Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 (PS752) was a scheduled international passenger flight from Tehran to Kiev operated by Ukraine International Airlines (UIA). On 8 January 2020, the Boeing 737-800 operating the route was shot down shortly after takeoff from Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport.All 176 passengers and crew were killed; it was the first fatal air accident for Ukraine International Airlines.

The airplane was shot down by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which attributed it to human error, with Iranian president Hassan Rouhani describing the accident as an "unforgivable mistake." Iranian aviation authorities initially denied the airplane was hit by a missile and said a technical error was responsible, while Ukrainian authorities, after initially deferring to Iran's explanation, said a shoot-down of the flight was one of their main working theories. Investigation by Western intelligence agencies and the general public had revealed the aircraft had been shot down by a Tor-M1 surface-to-air missile launched by Iran, then three days later, on 11 January, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said they had shot down the aircraft after mistaking it for a cruise missile;they fired two surface-to-air missiles at the aircraft.

The incident occurred during the 2019–20 Persian Gulf crisis, at a time of heightened tensions five days after U.S. president Donald Trump launched a drone strike (which killed Iranian major general Qasem Soleimani) in Iraq in retaliation for the breaching of the U.S. embassy in Baghdad by Iranian militia group Kata'ib Hezbollah and their supporters and hours after Iran's retaliatory ballistic missile attacks.It was preceded by an order from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that all American civilian aircraft avoid Iranian airspace and was followed by similar orders by several other nations and airlines including Ukraine.Experts have questioned Iran's decision to not close its airspace after launching missiles; General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said a request had been made for a no-fly zone before the incident but this request was rejected.Later, The New York Times reported that Iranian officials feared that shutting down the airport would create mass panic that war with the United States was imminent, and they also hoped that the presence of passenger jets could act as a deterrent against an American attack on the airport or the nearby military base, "effectively turning planeloads of unsuspecting travelers into human shields."As a result of the aircraft shoot down and perceived government deception, mass protests broke out in Iran calling for the removal of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.


The aircraft was a Boeing 737-8KV, serial number 38124, registration UR-PSR. It was three and a half years old at the time of it being shot down, having first flown on 21 June 2016.It was delivered to the airline on 19 July 2016 and was the first 737 Next Generation aircraft purchased by the airline.The airline defended the airplane's maintenance record, saying it had been inspected just two days before the crash.

Flight And Crash

The flight was operated by Ukraine International Airlines, the flag carrier and the largest airline of Ukraine, on a scheduled flight from the Iranian capital Tehran's Imam Khomeini International Airport to Boryspil International Airport in the Ukrainian capital Kiev. Emergency officials confirmed that the aircraft was carrying 176 people, including nine crew members and fifteen children.

Flight 752 was scheduled to take off at 05:15 local time (UTC+3:30), but was delayed. It departed Stand 116 and took off from Runway 29R at 06:12:08 local time and was expected to land in Kiev at 08:00 local time (UTC+2:00).The final ADS-B data received was at 06:14:57, less than three minutes after departure.

Between 06:14:17 and 06:14:45 the airplane turned from the take-off heading of 289° to heading 313°, following its regular route.

According to the data, the last recorded altitude was at 2,416 metres (7,925 ft) above mean sea level with a ground speed of 275 knots (509 km/h; 316 mph).The airport is 1,007 metres (3,305 ft) above mean sea level, but the ground around Parand and the crash site is several hundred feet higher. The flight was climbing at just under 3000 ft/min when the flight data record abruptly ended over the open ground near the northern end of Enqelab Eslami Boulevard in Parand.Analysis of several videos by the New York Times shows that aircraft was hit almost immediately by the first of two short-range missiles (which knocked out its transponder) launched thirty seconds apart by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and with the aircraft having maintained its track, by the second missile some 23 seconds later, after which it veers right and can be seen aflame before disappearing from view.Ukrainian investigators believe the pilots were killed instantly by shrapnel from the missile which exploded near the cockpit.

The precise track of the aircraft is unclear from that point until about a minute before it crashed, when several videos recorded its last seconds.The aircraft crashed on a park and fields on the edge of the village of Khalajabad 15 kilometres (9.3 mi; 8.1 nmi) north-west of the airport,and about 10 miles (16 km; 8.7 nmi) ENE of the last missile strike about 7 minutes after takeoff,but did not cause any casualties on the ground.

Shortly after the crash, emergency responders arrived with 22 ambulances, four bus ambulances, and a helicopter, but intense fires prevented a rescue attempt. The wreckage was strewn over a wide area, with no survivors found at the crash site.The aircraft was completely destroyed on impact.

Passengers And Crew

There were 167 passengers and nine crew members on the flight.According to Iranian officials, 146 passengers used Iranian passports to leave Iran, ten used Afghan passports, five used Canadian ones, four Swedish ones, and two used Ukrainian passports.There is some disagreement from other sources with this accounting of nationalities, possibly due to some passengers being nationals of more than a single country.

According to Ukrainian foreign minister Vadym Prystaiko and a flight manifest released by UIA,out of the 167 passengers' citizenship, 82 were confirmed to be Iranian, 63 were Canadian, three were British, four were Afghan, 10 were Swedish, and three were German. Eleven Ukrainians were also onboard, nine of them being the crew.The German Foreign Ministry denied any Germans were aboard;the three people in question were Afghan nationals who lived in Germany as asylum seekers.According to Iranian nationality law, the Iranian government considers dual citizens as Iranian citizens only.

Of the 167 passengers, 138 were travelling to Canada via Ukraine. Many of the Iranian Canadians were affiliated with Canadian universities, as students or academics who had travelled to Iran during Christmas break. The crash was the largest loss of Canadian lives in aviation since the 1985 bombing of Air India Flight 182.On January 15, 2020, Canadian Transport Minister Marc Garneau said that 57 Canadians died in the crash.

In addition to six flight attendants, the crew consisted of Captain Volodymyr Gaponenko (11,600 hours on Boeing 737 aircraft, including 5,500 hours as captain), instructor pilot Oleksiy Naumkin (12,000 hours on Boeing 737, including 6,600 as captain), and first officer Serhiy Khomenko (7,600 hours on Boeing 737).

- Pegasus Airlines Flight 2193 -

Pegasus Airlines Flight 2193 was a scheduled domestic passenger flight from Izmir to Istanbul in Turkey operated by Pegasus Airlines. On 5 February 2020, the Boeing 737-800 operating the route skidded off the runway while landing at Istanbul-Sabiha Gökçen International Airport, Turkey. Three people were killed, 179 people were injured, and the aircraft was destroyed.It was the first fatal accident in the airline's history.The accident came less than a month after another Pegasus Airlines accident involving a Boeing 737 skidding off the runway at the same airport.


The aircraft was a Boeing 737-86J (registration TC-IZK), serial number 37742. It was 11 years old at the time of the crash, having first flown in January 2009. The plane had previously been operated by now-defunct German airline Air Berlin before being acquired by Pegasus in May 2016.Prior to the crash, Pegasus was scheduled to withdraw this aircraft once leasing expired, as the airline is moving to an all-Airbus fleet in the future.


Flight 2193 operated within Turkey from İzmir Adnan Menderes Airport, Izmir to Istanbul without incident. At approximately 18:30 local time,the plane attempted to land at Sabiha Gökçen in Istanbul in heavy rain and strong tailwinds.A thunderstorm with strong wind gusts was passing through the area at the time of the accident.Two other aircraft aborted landing attempts at the same airport shortly before Flight 2193 landed.

After what the Turkey's transport minister described as a "rough landing", the aircraft failed to decelerate. It skidded off the east end of the runway and plunged into a ditch, impacting with force that survivors described as like an explosion.The aircraft broke into three sections, with the forward section of the fuselage especially damaged during the incident. Passengers escaped the plane via gaps between the fuselage sections. A fire broke out, which was later put out by firefighters.

Turkey's health minister said three passengers were killed and 179 people were taken to local hospitals with injuries.12 children were believed to be on board the plane, according to reports from the Turkish media.An investigation of the pilots is to be held based on speculations of crew negligence. The pilots received treatment in the hospital, before they were taken to a police station to provide their statements.

The CEO of Pegasus Airlines Mehmet T. Nane stated on Thursday, that they had regained possession of the plane’s black boxes, and had initiated the decryption of the data from them.

- 2020 Calabasas Helicopter Crash -

On January 26, 2020, a Sikorsky S-76B helicopter crashed in Calabasas, California, around 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of downtown Los Angeles, en route from John Wayne Airport to Camarillo Airport. The helicopter carried nine people: retired NBA basketball player Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, baseball coach John Altobelli, five other passengers, and the pilot. All on board were killed.


On January 26, 2020, at approximately 9:06 a.m. PST (17:06 UTC), Bryant departed from John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County, California, in a 1991 Sikorsky S-76B helicopter, registration N72EX, along with eight other people: his 13-year-old daughter Gianna; her teammates, 13-year-olds Alyssa Altobelli and Payton Chester; their parents, Keri and John Altobelli (head baseball coach at Orange Coast College) and Sarah Chester; basketball assistant coach Christina Mauser; and pilot Ara Zobayan.They were heading to a basketball game at Bryant's Mamba Sports Academy in Newbury Park, where Bryant was scheduled to coach Gianna's team.Flight records showed that the helicopter had flown the same journey the day before without incident to Camarillo Airport (CMA), a major general aviation airport about 20 minutes by car from Mamba Sports Academy.The previous day's flight had taken only 30 minutes; in contrast, driving from Bryant's home in Newport Beach to the academy would have taken at least two hours.

Weather Conditions

The Los Angeles Police Air Support Division had grounded its police helicopters on the morning of January 26 due to poor visibility and low ceiling;Air Support Division rules require at least 2 miles (3.2 km) of visibility and an 800-foot (240 m) cloud ceiling.At the time that N72EX took off from SNA, visibility was 5 miles (8.0 km) with a cloud ceiling of 1,300 feet (400 m), and it was operated by Island Express Helicopters Inc. as a 14 C.F.R. 135 (Part 135) on-demand passenger flight under visual flight rules (VFR).Flying through clouds is possible if a pilot elects to operate under instrument flight rules (IFR), but according to a former pilot for Island Express and FAA records, the company's pilots were not allowed to fly under IFR.In addition, the company's Part 135 operating certificate, issued in 1998, limited operations to on-demand VFR-only flights.Even if the company's operating certificate and rules had allowed for flying under IFR, that option would have led to lengthy delays and detours (thereby using up any anticipated time savings) because of severe congestion in Los Angeles controlled airspace.Bryant's celebrity status would not have given the helicopter priority in that airspace.

According to an automated weather station, the cloud ceiling (bottom of the cloud layer) at the Van Nuys Airport was 1,100 feet (340 m) above ground level. Closer to the site of the crash, the cloud top extended up to 2,400 feet (730 m) above mean sea level, meaning that aircraft between those two altitudes would be enveloped in clouds.


Because visual flight rules prohibit a pilot from flying into or near clouds, the helicopter ascended to an altitude of 800 feet (240 m) above mean sea level (amsl) while flying northwest from SNA.On most of its previous flights to Camarillo, the helicopter had turned west at Downtown Los Angeles and flown over the Santa Monica Mountains until it picked up the Ventura Freeway (US 101).On January 26, that was not an option for VFR flights because of a deep marine layer which had pushed fog from the Pacific Ocean into the Santa Monica Mountains.Instead, the helicopter continued northwest, passed over Boyle Heights near Dodger Stadium and began following the route of the Golden State Freeway (I-5); as the flight approached Glendale,the pilot requested permission from the Burbank Airport air traffic controllers to transition to following the Ventura Freeway (US 101); Burbank controllers advised the pilot that weather conditions around the airport dictated IFR and held the helicopter circling in a holding pattern for 11 minutes starting at 9:21 a.m. (17:21 UTC) before granting it permission at 9:32 a.m. (17:32 UTC) to proceed into the controlled airspace around Burbank Airport.

Permission to proceed was granted under special VFR, requiring the pilot to stay under 2,500 feet (760 m) altitude.The helicopter climbed to an altitude of 1,400 feet (430 m) amsl.After proceeding through the Burbank controlled airspace, the flight turned west, following the Ronald Reagan Freeway (SR 118) as it passed into the Van Nuys Airport controlled airspace; the Van Nuys controllers shortly afterward approved a turn southwest towards the Ventura Freeway (US 101) at 9:39 a.m. (17:39 UTC).Pilot Ara Zobayan then confirmed he was still in VFR flight conditions at 1,500 feet (460 m) and acknowledged the handoff to Southern California air traffic control (SCT).

By 9:42 a.m. (17:42 UTC), the helicopter had arrived at and started following the Ventura Freeway west, entering more hilly terrain at the western edge of the San Fernando Valley. At 9:44 a.m. (17:44 UTC), in response to a request from the pilot, the SCT controller advised the helicopter it was too close to terrain for flight following, a tracking service that would have provided the VFR flight with continuous verbal updates on air traffic.The SCT controller terminated flight following and was subsequently relieved by a different controller. Because the original SCT controller had gone off duty, the relieving controller asked the pilot to identify and asked what his intentions were.In a press conference, NTSB Member Jennifer Homendy stated the pilot then advised air traffic control he was putting the aircraft into a climb to avoid a cloud layer, intending to level out at 4,000 feet (1,200 m); this was the last transmission made by the pilot.

As the ground started to rise, the helicopter went into a climb, gaining approximately 1,000 feet (300 m) of altitude in 36 seconds.According to transponder data, the helicopter first entered a climbing turn to the left, taking a southern heading and peaking at an altitude of 2,300 feet (700 m) amsl (1,500 feet (460 m) above ground level). Eight seconds later,at about 9:45:18 a.m. (17:45 UTC) the helicopter, continuing its left turn to the southeast, started to descend rapidly. It reached a descent rate of more than 4,000 ft/min (20 m/s) and a ground speed of 160 knots (300 km/h) before it struck a hillside at 9:45:39 a.m. at an elevation of approximately 1,085 feet (331 m).

Aircraft N72EX

Until 2015, the Sikorsky S-76B helicopter N72EX was owned by the State of Illinois, which used it to transport governors and other officials.According to FAA and California Secretary of State records, the helicopter was registered to the Island Express Holding Corporation, based in Fillmore, California.The passenger compartment of the helicopter was converted from configuration seating twelve (as N761LL) to eight after the sale to Island Express.It was not generally known in the aftermath of the crash whether Bryant had chartered the aircraft or leased it full-time.

The aircraft did not have a flight data recorder (FDR) or cockpit voice recorder (CVR); helicopters in the U.S. are not required to carry them. Although the S-76B originally had a CVR installed, records show that Island Express removed the CVR shortly after acquiring the helicopter from the State of Illinois in March 2016.The helicopter was also not equipped with a terrain awareness and warning system (TAWS); although the NTSB recommended that all helicopters equipped with six or more passenger seats be equipped with a TAWS after a 2004 S-76A crash, the FAA did not implement the recommendation.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

favourite category


Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only